Brookings Or Bust

So what else did I do over the weekend?

Why thank you for asking!

On Saturday, Hubby Bryan and I decided a Jeep ride was in order, and since we wanted to go someplace farther afield than the International Festival in downtown Worthington, we headed for the Art Festival in Brookings, S.D.

I’d heard about this event before, but did not realize its magnitude. This is a huge deal. More than 200 vendors. All kinds of artwork and crafts. Entertainment galore. People everywhere. Wonderful fair food.

As HB and I entered Brookings, we ignored the signs on the outskirts that directed us to shuttle bus parking and kept going with the flow of traffic toward the city center. Lucky for us, just as we spotted throngs of people walking toward the festival grounds, we also noticed a sign that said Parking $5, quickly pulled in, paid the fee and got the last parking spot in the lot. Then we joined the stream of people headed for Pioneer Park. Not only was the large park packed full of vendor booths, but they also lined the streets and lots across the street from the park.

Among the vendors located in the park were at least two with local origins: Verlin and Brenda Ostrem, with their unique decoy and country crafts; and Bill and Lauri Keitel’s Buffalo Billfold Company. We stopped to say hi, but with the vast number of people eyeing their goods, there wasn’t much time to chat.

The festival had a lot to take in and appreciate on a hot summer Saturday. But the park had trees for shade and an occasional breeze that kept us from overheating too quickly. Only when we got to a section of vendors that was somehow blocked from the breeze did both HB and I begin to sweat profusely. The large limeade that we purchased had also evaporated, so it was time to head somewhere cool for a beer and late lunch. We ended up at Cubbies, a sports bar and grill in downtown Brookings. Nice selection of tap beers and tasty sandwiches. After a brew and something more substantial to eat, HB and I felt rejuvenated and ready to endure the hot and windy 94-mile ride back to Worthington.

After braving the festival crowds, we were happy to get back to our quiet deck and watch the world go by.